Its a eggplant cooked in Indian style, with spices. This curry is one of my fav. In recent days i started to love the eggplant recipe and tried different styles , which suits my taste. I am posting this recipe specially for Kavya , who asked me for eggplant curry recipe. Soon i will post as many as possible. Well....i have already took so much time to rest myself , and i could hear you people scolding me for not posting any new recipe for such a long time. So, with no wasting time, i would directly go for the recipe....and here is the recipe just for you....
Eggplant - ( Medium size) 2 numbers
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Garlic - 10 curshed
Ginger and garlic paste - 1 tsp
Big Onion - 1 ( Chopped finely)
Tomatoes - 2 ( Chopped )
Chilly powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Salt - To taste
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - To fry
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Green pea - ( handful ) ( Frozen) ( If using fresh, need to soak it and pressure cooker it before using in the recipe)
* Take the eggplant and wash it. Wipe it with the tissue paper. Now apply oil all over it generously.
*Pre heat the oven, and set the oven for 250 c and cook the eggplant for 20 - 25 mins. ( Until it is cooked well)
* Now peel the eggplant skin, and chop it into peices. ( Make sure it is cooked well.)
* Now take a pan, add oil, and add the cumin seeds.
* Then add the crushed garlic, and fry till it changes the colour.
* Then add the chopped onions, and fry till golden brown.
* Now add the chilly poeder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt to it.( Fry for few mins for the raw smell to disappear)
* Now add the chopped tomatoes, and fry for few mins. ( Close the lid and cook for few mins, until the tomatoes become soft)
* Finally add the cooked and chopped eggplant and mix well.
* Look check for the taste and also check that the eggplant is cooked. If not You could close the lid and cook for some more time.
* Finally add the green peas and garam masala.
* Cook for another 5 mins, and switch off the stove.
Hmmmmmmmmmm..........the yummy baigan bartha/ bharta is ready. It would go well with rice, Chapathi, Naan or Roti.
Back to Spice-India recipe site