Hi friends, how was your long weekend. In india, its the holidays for May1 and the following saturday and sunday, but were as in Uk and other its a long weekend because of the Monday bank holiday. Hope everyone had a great time enjoying in some way or other. And particularly mine, with a 2 and half year kid, went really busy. Today i am going to post a pretty simple dish - "Channa Masala".
This is a wonderful "confort food" dish which is really very easy to make. Channa Masala can be prepared as mild or as hot as you like it!
It is a classic North Indian vegetarian dish which is specially delicious when eaten with rote ( Chappathi). Punjabis may know this dish as "chole". Everyone have their own version of preparing the channa masala, and here is my version.
Chick peas - 300 grms ( You have to soak the channa for 3 -4 hrs and pressure cook it for 2 whistle. (or) you instead you could also use the ready made tinned channa , which you can use directly)
Big Onions - 1 ( chopped)
Big Onions - 1 ( Chapped finely)
Tomatoes - 2 ( chopped finely)
Potaoes - 1-2 ( toally optionally - I dont prefer to use it in channa masala)
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - To taste
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Oil - To fry.
* Take a pan, add oil, and 1 chopped onion and fry till golden brown.
* Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry for few mins. Then make it cool and grind it into paste.
* Now take a pan, add oil and fry the rest of the chopped onions till golden brown.
* Then add the grinded paste and fry for 5 mins. Then add 1 cup of water.
* Now add the chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and cook for 5 - 10 mins. ( If you want to add potatoes then add it now)
* Finally add the chick peas and again mix well and cook till the gravy becomes thick.
* Now add the garam masala.
The spicy channa Masala is ready. Garnish and serve hot with chapathi or Naan or any Roti.
Back to Spice-India recipe Site