Fish is always good for health. This recipe is one of the dahamodharan's recipe. I got the inspiration from his recipe , but altered it a bit according to my taste. We generally deep fry fish, which will take more oil. Even when we make curry, we always see our parents using lots of oil, just because it gives us good taste. The tandoori fish recipe is supposed to be cooked in Tandoori cooker, but because i dont have tandoori cooker, i am going to cook in oven. Thou i am not going to use lot of oil, but still prefer to finally coat the fish with oil before placing it in the oven. Here is the Recipe just for you.
Fish - 2 ( I use Seabass in UK, you can you any fish that taste good , but perfer to have something with less bones)
Ginger - 15 grms
Garlic - 4 pieces ( Peeled)
Onion - 1/2 ( Small onions are good, but because i did not get the small onions, i have used 1/2 big onion in my recipe. If using small onions use 5 onions, which is more than enough)
Red chillies - 6
cinnamon stick - 1 small piece
Green cardamons - 3
Bay leaves - 1
Cashew nuts - 10 numbers
Lemon - 1
yogurt - 1/2 cup
Salt - To taste
Red food colouring - 1/2 tsp
Oil - To coat the fish
* First clean the fish. Cut the wings and clear the scales of the fish. Make sure its clean and wash it and keep it aside.
* Now just make a cut on the fish. this helps the masala to get inside the fish. ( Gives Better marination )
*Now add onion, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, ginger, garlic, cardamons, cashew nuts and red chillies in the mixy jar and grind it into fine paste. ( If you want to add water add very little bit, because later we will add the yogurt which will make more water, so add very little water)
* Now tranfer the grinded paste to a bowl, and addd the yogurt, salt, food colouring and lemon juice and mix well.
* Now the masala is ready. Coat the fish with this masala. Make sure you apply the masala very where on to the fish.
* Now keep the fish inside the fridge for 2 hours. ( This gives better marination)
* After 2 hours, prehaeat the oven for 150 degree c for 15 mins and place the fish in the oven coating it with the oil.
* Now after placing the fish for 5 mins in the oven, turn off the oven and on the grill and keep it at medium heat and cook the fish.
* Inbetween open the oven and coat the fish with oil, and then cook again.
* Then turn the fish to the other side and cook it for few mins again coating it with oil. ( The fish will be half cooked , so turning the fish could be bit difficult, so make sure you turn it carefully with out breaking the fish.)
* Once the masala and the fish is cooked, its ready to be served.
Serve hot with sauce.
Back to Spice-india recipe site