Mutton curry is one of the famous recipe in all non veg restarants. Its my all time fav. If i make mutton curry, i generally need to keep more rice than usual. It will go very well, with plain rice, or a side dish for pulav rice or naan breads, chapathi and parathas. There are always different people preaparing in differrent style. This particular is that i learnt from my mom, where my mom learnt from her in-law( i.e my grand ma). My grand parents are from a small village in south india , Tamil nadu, and there is always a liking for us towards the village recipes. The reason behind that is the taste. Gosh......They always taste the best, because the ingredients and the masala, that they use are freshly prepared. But now me being in India tried to use fresh ingredients as possible. The mutton curry came very well.......Everyone loved it. And here is the recipe just for you.
Mutton - 1/2 ( chopped) ( Can use the pieces with bones, which will always taste much better) Garlic - 1 full ( remove the skin and need not be chopped because we will grind it)
whole Pepper - 2 spoon
Ginger - small piece ( Finely chopped)
Big Onions - 3 ( Chopped)
Tomatoes - 2 ( chopped)
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Salt - To taste
Coriander leaves - 1 hand full
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Oil - To fry
Masala Items :
Sombu - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon sticks - 2 small peices
Green Cardamons - 3
Cloves - 2 B
ay leaves - 1
* Now first, chop the mutton and clean with water by adding 1 sppon of vinegar. ( We use vinegar to get ride of the smell)
* Then pressure cooker it till they get soft. ( ie) In few places the mutton we get is too hard, so pressure cooker it accordingly).
* Take a heavy bottomed vessel or pan, add oil, add the whole pepper and fry it.
* Then add the garlic and fry till golden brown
* Now add the onions , fry till golden brown, then add the chopped tomatoes.
* keep it aside and wait till it is cool.
* Then add it to the blender or mixy jar, and add the chopped ginger and grind it by adding water.
* Then add the half of the coriander leaves to it and grind well by adding water
* Now the masala for the Mutton curry is ready. ( The idea of grinding the masala is that we get the curry little bit thicker, and the taste is better and also kids and we dont avoid thing with out eating)
* Now take another vessel, add oil, and add the masala items and fry it.
* Now add the grinded masala and fry it for 5 mins
* Then add 3 cups of water to it.
* Then add the turmeric powder, chiily powder, coriander powder and salt and mix well.
* Close the vessel and cook for 25-30 mins ( Stiring it inbetween)
* Then add the pressure cooked mutton ( Add along with the water that is used to pressure cook) and cook for another 10 more mins.
* Finally add Garam masala and mix well.
hmmmm.......The mutton curry is ready. Granish and serve hot.
Back to spice-india recipe site