Peerkangai which is known as Ridge Gourd in english, has never been on my shopping list, till i tasted it. It was all started when Mrs Kiran Kumar invited us for dinner . After having a long chat, we decided to start our dinner. When we started to serve ourself, i saw a bowl , with green coloured chutney. Did not know what it was. So i decided not to take it, and was happily enjoying my rest of my yummy food. Suddenly kiran saw and asked me, wheather , i tasted her peerkangai ( Ridge Gourd) chutney ( Tuvaiyal). I said no, and she immediately served me, and asked me to taste. When i tasted it for the first time, i really fell in love with the taste. ( Love at first taste...Lol ).
Then from then on, i never forget to add peerkangai to my shopping list.
The recipe is here................
Peerkangai ( Ridge Gourd ) - 1 (wash, clean and Peel off the skin and chop it into small pieces)
Garlic - 2 pieces ( peeled )
Green Chilly - 2
Curry Leaves - 1/2 hand ful
Coriander Leaves - 1/2 handful
Tamarind - small piece
Tomato - 1/4
Urid Dhal - 1 tsp
Mustard seed - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt - To taste
Oil - To fry
* Take a pan, add 3 - 4 spoon oil and heat it.
* Add the Mustard seeds, Urid dhal, and Cumin seed and fry it.
* Then add the Green chilly and fry it.
* Then add the Peerkangai, garlic, curry leaves, coriander leaves and fry for some times.
* Add the Tamarind and tomato and fry for 5 mins.
* Allow it to cool, add salt and grint it into fine paste.
hmmm..........the peerikangai tuvaiyal is ready to taste............
Back to Spice-India recipe site