Hmm, Vegetable Briyani, one of the most tasty and yummy dish. Briyani is always a dish which will taste great , but at the same time, great care as to be taken while cooking the rice. When it comes to vegetable briyani, the colourful carrot, beans, potatoes and peas gives a great look for the briyani.
* Carrot - 2 (chopped)
* Beans - 1/4 kg ( Chopped)
* Potato - 3-5 ( chopped)
* Green Peas - hand full (frozen) ( If it is fresh, then you got to soak it and pressure cook or steam cook it until it is soft)
* Onion - 2 (chopped finely)
* Tomato - 3-4 chopped
* Green chilly - 2 (chopped length wise)
* Ginger & Garlic Paste - 3 tsp
* Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
* Chilly powder - 2 tsp
* Daniya(Coriander) Powder - 3 tsp
* Salt - To taste
* Coconut Milk - 1:1 ( ie: for one cup rice , use one cup coconut milk and one cup water)( If cooking as dum briyani, then use 3/4 cup of coconut milk and 3/4 cup of water)
* Garam Masala - 1 tsp
* Basmathi Rice - 2 Tumbler
* Cardamons - 3
* Cloves - 3
* Bay leaves - 2
* Cinnamon Stick - 2 pieces
* Oil - 6-7 spoons
* Ghee - 2 spoons
* Mint leaves - little (cleaned and chopped)
* Coriander leaves - little (cleaned and chopped)
* Take a heavy bottomed vessel or even pressure cooked will be good.
* Heat the vessel, add Ghee and oil to it. Now add the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamans and bay leaves.
* Then add the chopped onion and fry till golden brown.
* Add green chilly and fry for some times.
* Now add the chopped tomato and fry well ( tomato has to be fried very well)
* Then add the Ginger and Garlic Paste and fry well.
* Now add the vegetables ( Carrot, beans, potatoes) and stir well.
* Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, Dhaniya powder, little of chopped mint and coriander leaves and stir well.
* Now add water in 1: 2 ratio (i.e – if two tumbler rice, add 2 tumbler of water and two tumbler of coconut milk)
* Let the water boil. When it is boiling well add the basmathi rice and salt. Stir well.* Keep the lid closed. ( while cooking in electric cooker the job is done, and we have to wait for the rice to be cooked)
If you are doing in pressure cooker , then don’t put the wait for the lid.* Open now-and-then, and keep stiring.* When rice is semi- cooked add the garam masala and rest of the mint and coriander leaves andclose the lid.* When the rice is cooked, close the lid and put on the wait and switch off the stove immediately.
( If you are cooking in some other heavy bottomed vessel, keep the vessel closed with suitablelid and keep another vessel filled with cold water over the plate. )
Wow.......the yummy vegetable biriyani is ready. Garnish and serve with raita.......
Back to Spice-India recipe site